Access to books, audiobooks, and more - for less than a price of a paperback.
Join 38,062 members

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Oxford Classical Dictionary (3rd Edition on CD-ROM)

1. Default The Oxford Classical Dictionary (3rd Edition on CD-ROM)

Re uploaded by DE on 11-Jun-15

Praised by playwright Arthur Miller as "a delight for anyone with any curiosity about the roots of our Western culture" and by Booklist as "the single most heavily used book on classical studies," The Oxford Classical Dictionary is without doubt the definitive single-volume resource on ancient Greece and Rome. Now this redoubtable classic is available in electronic form on CD-ROM.

"The Oxford Classical Dictionary" is the Standard of the profession - the Gold Standard. This is the reference book you will see on the desks of professional classical scholars. The articles are easy to search for, the explanations are accessible even for the non-pro,& the physical lay-out & size are manageable. There is no other comparable volume for other languages, literatures, & cultures.

The first ever of the "Oxford Companion" & "Guide" series (now covering a growing number of fields)in 1937 was the "Companion to Classical Literature" of Sir Paul Harvey. That set the tone & the bar for all others to follow.I still have my very small volume of the 1st edition(how the books have grown in size over the years!)& use it every week. Although I also possess the 2nd edition OCD, I consult this latest, 3rd edition on a daily basis.

Perhaps the name 'Dictionary' is misleading to the layperson. This book is not in fact a dictionary of the Greek & Latin languages, but written in English. This is an encyclopedia -- "6,000 articles cover everything from the daily life of the ancient Greeks and Romans, to their geography, religion, and their historical figures....w/ comprehensive references to sources and recent scholarly publications." (OUP Catalog)
    It's almost impossible to describe what a monument of scholarship this book is, yet it bears that weight lightly. And this book is so much fun too as one jumps around the articles. This is a reference work that you can read for hours. Information on all aspects of Gr.& R. life, literaure, history, anything in the realm of classical civilizations -- you could live in this booke!

Take into consideration some serious issues though, which makes it worth to check in the primary sources:

This third edition is still the go-to source for classical history. Many have elucidated its good qualities, but the Third Edition is marred by some dishonest articles. In years to come the few biased articles in this book will seem as bad a the biases in some 19th century articles look to us now. Here are a few examples:
    1. Slavery article. It states that only Greeks, Romans and European colonialists in the Americas separated slaves from their native cultures and identities. Middle Easterners for many centuries carried on a large scale trade of slaves from sub-Saharan Africa and northern Europe, both groups whose cultures and religions had nothing to do with Middle Eastern ones (and both those groups were extensively stereotyped in Middle Eastern written sources.)
    2. Phoenician colonialism is said to be better than Greek colonialism because the Phoenician colonies were just farming and trading colonies. For one, little is known of Phoenician colonies, and two the Greek colonies (unlike the Roman ones) were primarily farming and trading colonies.
    3. Greek rule over the old Persian Empire. (Seleucid Empire) The claim that the Greeks had no influence, despite all the Greek texts, sculptures and architecture from the era of Greek rule. Not everyone was Hellenized, but to claim that nobody was makes me question the sanity of the author. In other sources I've even seen claims that cities with Greek-style buildings (like Petra in Jordan) aren't Greek influenced because the architecture displays slight differences from classical Greek architecture.

ISO/175 MB

In order to download the file(s), you should register an account, registration takes less than 60 seconds and cost you 20$ for 365 days (It helps keep the site running - We appreciate Your Support), give you unlimited access to all resources, JOIN TODAY
    Unrar it to one folder, burn a cd (It works only with CD inserted!) and then install. After installing, please, use the UPDATE folder and install the update. It should work like a wonder, tested it myself.

Last edited by deutsch3000; 06-11-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Re uploaded

2. Please read this message!!!
  3. Default Re: The Oxford Classical Dictionary (3rd Edition on CD-ROM)

Thanks for dovesnake

Thanks
    Thanked 7,499 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    112 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Oxford Classical Dictionary (3rd Edition on CD-ROM)

sounds pretty good, thanks Stovo.

The best way to say 'Thank you' is to make a mirror.

Whenever you download a file, send it back to any hosting services and post your link, this way we will not lose any files.

5. Default Re: The Oxford Classical Dictionary (3rd Edition on CD-ROM)

Instructions:
    Unrar it to one folder, burn a cd (It works only with CD inserted!) and then install. After installing, please, use the UPDATE folder and install the update. It should work like a wonder, tested it myself.

6. Default Re: The Oxford Classical Dictionary (3rd Edition on CD-ROM)

I really like the easy way to publish on your lovely site!!! Keep on going!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,499 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    112 Thread(s)

Thanks Stovoker ! and me too , I am really like your fonts color , it makes me feeling as I am in the spring time

The best way to say 'Thank you' is to make a mirror.

Whenever you download a file, send it back to any hosting services and post your link, this way we will not lose any files.

8. Default Re: The Oxford Classical Dictionary (3rd Edition on CD-ROM)

Quote Originally Posted by stovokor View Post
    Thanks for dovesnake
    I've done nothing, in fact. Thanks dear for this nice post

Know that what has passed you by was not going to befall you; and that what has befallen you was not going to pass you by. And know that victory comes with patience, relief with affliction, and ease with hardship. Prophet Muhammad

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank u so much

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a Million

بارك الله فيك وجزاك الف خير

ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ ــ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
About us
Download language learning and teaching resources such as flashcards, grammar and course books, self study and exam materials, CDs and DVDs for just about any foreign language you want to learn.
Note
None of the files shown here are hosted on this server. The links are for URL which are publicity available on the internet for free, If you notice any page which you think violate your rights, let us know.