In this study, I shall offer a diachronic solution for eight difficult inflectional endings of Old Church Slavic: the */o/-stem masculine nominative-accusative singular in -? (or -’?), the */o/-stem neuter nominative-accusative singular in -o (or -’e), the */i/-stem accusative plural in -i, the */men/-stem masculine nominative singular in -y, the */o/-stem dative singular in -u, the nominative singular of the active present participle in -y, the */?/-stem genitive singular in -y, and the genitive plural of all nouns in -?.

In this context, I address the perhaps most disputed and the most important question of the Slavic nominal inflectional morphology: whether there was in Proto-Slavic an Auslautgesetz, a law of final syllables, that narrowed the Proto-Indo-European vowel */o/ to */u/ in closed word-final syllables. Rather than trying to prove my view positively, as absolutely likely, I attempt to approach the correct solution by excluding those theories that do not seem possible or probable.

DOWNLOAD

PDF in RAR 1.29 Mb
In order to download the file(s), you should register an account, registration takes less than 60 seconds and cost you 20$ for 365 days (It helps keep the site running - We appreciate Your Support), give you unlimited access to all resources, JOIN TODAY