Access to books, audiobooks, and more - for less than a price of a paperback.
Join 38,062 members

User Tag List

How Language Comes to Children

Default How Language Comes to Children

How Language Comes to Children: From Birth to Two Years
    Bénédicte de Boysson-Bardies

djvu|1.5 MB

That children learn to speak so skillfully at a young age has long fascinated adults. Most children virtually master their native tongue even before learning to tie their shoelaces. The ability to acquire language has historically been regarded as a "gift"--a view given scientific foundation only in the present century by Noam Chomsky's theory of "universal grammar," which posits an innate knowledge of the principles that structure all languages.

In this delightful, accessible book, psycholinguist Bénédicte de Boysson-Bardies presents a broad picture of language development, from fetal development to the toddler years, and examines a wide range of puzzling questions: How do newborns recognize elements of speech? How do they distinguish them from nonspeech sounds? How do they organize and analyze them? How do they ultimately come to understand and reproduce these sounds? Finally, how does the ability to communicate through language emerge in children? Boysson-Bardies also addresses questions of particular interest to parents, such as whether one should speak to children in a special way to facilitate language learning and whether there is cause to worry when a twenty-month-old child does not yet speak. Although the author provides a clear summary of the current state of language acquisition theory, the special appeal of the book lies in her research and "dialogue" with her many young subjects.

Download

Every man I meet is my master in some point, and in that I learn from him (R. Emerson)

2. Please read this message!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,499 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    112 Thread(s)

Default Re: How Language Comes to Children

I should read that book, I want Noursein to speak in English while she is 2 years old , Could she !

The best way to say 'Thank you' is to make a mirror.

Whenever you download a file, send it back to any hosting services and post your link, this way we will not lose any files.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 354 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: How Language Comes to Children

Every man I meet is my master in some point, and in that I learn from him (R. Emerson)

About us
Download language learning and teaching resources such as flashcards, grammar and course books, self study and exam materials, CDs and DVDs for just about any foreign language you want to learn.
Note
None of the files shown here are hosted on this server. The links are for URL which are publicity available on the internet for free, If you notice any page which you think violate your rights, let us know.