Access to books, audiobooks, and more - for less than a price of a paperback.
Join 38,062 members

User Tag List

Personal Log - My Journey to German

Default Personal Log - My Journey to German

Wasn't sure where these sorts of things should be posted, but since "anything goes" here, I might as well post it in this forum.

After over two years of floundering around doing nothing, I've decided to make studying German a daily thing, which only makes sense. Even if in bite-sized chunks, as long as I get it done, I've managed to do something, at least. I'll also be timing myself for each session, to help out. And umm... probably later on I'll be looking for a native German speaker to help me out, so that would be in the Language Exchange forum, ja?

For reference, I'll be using these courses because they were recommended to me back when I joined... I'm not sure by whom, though. There's no record of it in my introduction thread, but I see all three downloaded on my PC. It might have been someone on the chatbox, then.
    http://langacademy.net/vb/showthread...ourself-German
    http://langacademy.net/vb/showthread...ve-Your-German
    http://langacademy.net/vb/showthread...dvanced-Course

I'm armed with nothing but these, a timer, and a to-do list to keep them on my mind. Got my fingers crossed. So please wish me luck.

2. Please read this message!!!
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Personal Log - My Journey to German

Finished the first five exercises of Unit 1. This is what I was able to fit into 30 minutes. Well, that's understandable. I figure I'll do that... 30 minutes a day. Relatively quick, possibly because I remember having done this before I stopped some years back, so I still have some memory of it.

I'll move on to finish Unit 1 tomorrow.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did a quick review of exercises 1-5, then did exercises 6-9. More complex than the first 5, of course. Did recordings and text answers where I had to. Flubbed the answer to "wie wohnen Sie". Still have to practice saying it... "Ich wohne jetzt in...". I'll do it again tomorrow, along with the grammar.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Spent 20 minutes reviewing unit 1 and answering the last section. I'll do one more review tomorrow before moving on to unit 2. Have to master this before moving on. The other words/phrases like Entschuldigen Sie and aber are likely to fall through the cracks if I'm not careful.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Reviewed Unit 1 one more time, including answering the last question. An issue came to mind with the use of "den" in "Ich komme aus", when referring to a country that has an article before it. Does "den" apply to all countries using "the" in the context of "Ich komme aus"? Or does each country have a specific article? For example, the German wikipedia page for The Philippines calls it "Die Philippinen". Or is that more of an issue of case, because it's a subject in that context rather than an object?

Posted the question in the chatbox.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did one last quick review of Unit 1. I noticed I still automatically draw a blank when I get asked "Woher kommen Sie" and "Wo wohnen Sie". Gotta get that out of my system. Then moved on to Unit 2. Currently trying to get the hang of exercise 3. Should probably also review exercises 1 and 2.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Went on a two-day vacation. Couldn't access my stuff at the time. Should have printed the book and copied the recordings into my phone. Still did what I could, recited basics in Unit 1.

Started actually doing more than just write in a notepad file for the written exercises. Made an excel file today and answered all the written exercises in units I did. Managed to get to Exercise 5 of Unit 2 before timing out. Got five words out of 15 so far. This'll be fun.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Caught up in Unit 2. 14 words so far on exercise 5. Might be a copout as some of them are just two letters long. Gotta get the hang of Exer 6. Seems to be some relatively complex sentence structure now. I'll be sticking to this Unit until I master it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,265 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    112 Thread(s)

Can't forgive myself being first time to read your thread

What a plan you had? Can ou update us please?

Quote Originally Posted by Norfuer View Post
    Reviewed Unit 1 one more time, including answering the last question. An issue came to mind with the use of "den" in "Ich komme aus", when referring to a country that has an article before it. Does "den" apply to all countries using "the" in the context of "Ich komme aus"? Or does each country have a specific article? For example, the German wikipedia page for The Philippines calls it "Die Philippinen". Or is that more of an issue of case, because it's a subject in that context rather than an object?

Posted the question in the chatbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfuer View Post
    Caught up in Unit 2. 14 words so far on exercise 5. Might be a copout as some of them are just two letters long. Gotta get the hang of Exer 6. Seems to be some relatively complex sentence structure now. I'll be sticking to this Unit until I master it.

The best way to say 'Thank you' is to make a mirror.

Whenever you download a file, send it back to any hosting services and post your link, this way we will not lose any files.

About us
Download language learning and teaching resources such as flashcards, grammar and course books, self study and exam materials, CDs and DVDs for just about any foreign language you want to learn.
Note
None of the files shown here are hosted on this server. The links are for URL which are publicity available on the internet for free, If you notice any page which you think violate your rights, let us know.