Access to books, audiobooks, and more - for less than a price of a paperback.
Join 38,062 members

User Tag List

Modern English and Its Heritage

Default Modern English and Its Heritage

Modern English and Its Heritage-Fourteen years have passed since the first edition of Modern English and Its Heritage was published, and during that period a great deal of scholarship and investigation has gone on in the field of language. This edition, which represents a revision rather than a rewriting, attempts to take note, so far as limitations of space permit, of the work that has been done during those years. I could not hope to do more than indicate in the body of the text, in the footnotes, or in the bibliographies, those at the end of each chapter and that at the end of the book, the great amount of investigation and its many ramifications. No doubt, I have overlooked or excluded material that will seem important to some, but it is impossible to include everything in a volume of this size.
    This book continues the general plan of the first edition and its general aim. A new arrangement, however, has been made. Part III, Grammar and Usage, has been placed at the end, so that those who wish to consider the other parts first and leave the structure of the language for a separate study may do so.
    It is my hope that this volume in its revised form may better serve those with an interest in the English language and will continue to encourage its readers to an active observation of the language and a further study of it. I cannot possibly acknowledge in detail here my debt to the many scholars upon whose investigations and explorations I have depended. References within the work must suffice.

File Type: PDF File Size: 9.00MB

Download:
    In order to download the file(s), you should register an account, registration takes less than 60 seconds and cost you 20$ for 365 days (It helps keep the site running - We appreciate Your Support), give you unlimited access to all resources, JOIN TODAY

Last edited by arcadius; 06-20-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    "Capitalists are so greedy, that will sell you the rope that will hang them" ~Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili - Stalin~

2. Please read this message!!!